Synchronizer of ATM maintenance requests
Background of the project
In autumn 2011, we were contacted by Hendz - a company specializing in servicing of ATMs. The task was to synchronize maintenance requests between Russian Standard Bank «Russian Standard» and Hendz. At the time of addressing to us, the requests were sent manually.
Initially, the workflow was as follows:
The «Russian Standard» had its own Service Desk system (recording all incidents with ATMs), and Hendz – Hendz had its own one. After the bank created the ATM repair request it was sent – to Hendz. Back notifications (on execution of the requests) passed the same way.
Due to the human factor, some of the requests were lost the others – were processed incorrectly..
We were tasked to automate this process.
From the side of Hendz, a product of Naumen company acted as Service Desk. From the side of the bank, there was a special-purpose web service allowing to receive and send all the necessary information. The system structure was as follows:
Synchronizer application was developed by our company.
Unfortunately, Hendz did not implement a web service for interaction with Naumen Service Desk, since the developer (Naumen) rejected this improvement and put a sky-high» « price for these works. We had to apply the standard mechanism of this system – exchange via Email.
The request way from the side of the bank looks as follows:
- From time to time the synchronizer polls the bank web service for detection of new requests;
- Once the request appears, all information about it is uploaded;
- A letter to Naumen Service Desk is created and sent to a special e-mail;
- Naumen Service Desk should respond to another e-mail – which indicates successful receipt of the request. Otherwise, the message is resent.
The bank is informed on the progress of the request as follows:
- In case of any request-specific event occurring from Hendz (corrected, postponed, canceled, etc.) – Naumen Service Desk sends the letter to a special e-mail;
- This box is periodically checked by the synchronizer;
- Once the letter is received, it is read, processed, and sent to the bank web service;
- If the bank web service informs on successful receipt of information, the letter will be deleted.
We'd like also to note the additional functiona implemented by us in the synchronizer app:
- Detailed log – for analyzing possible faulty situations;
- The mechanism for automatic request status determination by ATM fault code. There are two kinds of requests: FLM и SLM. FLM – a request for scheduled service – like replacement of cash register tape, etc. SLM – is a repair request in case of a failure. To avoid sending a "more «expensive"» SLM expert to ATM in case of FLM incident, the synchronizer automatically determines the request kind using the code returned by the ATM;
- Additional service automatically restarts the synchronizer in case of any errors (including hardware failures).